for/foreach/while/do

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:29 AM

Hi there !

One question that came up during development of a source to source translator is that while ICodeVisitor has methods that intercept
For,ForEach,While,Do Statements, the current implementation of the Decompiler does not project the IL code to those constructs, instead
it parses it into raw IL goto/label constructs.

I realize this is how those loops are implemented actually at the IL level, but will there be support for infering the actual loop constructs at some time ?
I also realize that this is quite hard to do, and probably not doable for all cases..

I ask this because i am currently doing a C# to DirectX HLSL translator, and HLSL is unique in the way that it supports loop constructs but no general jump support.

So for my translator i need to infer those constructs, and I wanted to ask if this will be supported in order not to duplicate work. 

Coordinator
Aug 26, 2010 at 2:57 AM

I'm afraid that the MSR Rise group has no spare cycles to devote to improving the Decompiler to do loops. If you were to implement those, it would be great if you could share by contributing back to the CodePlex.

I'm happy to answer questions about specifics, if that will help.